Starting improvise or write guitar solos is really tricky and super awkward, but there’s not a lot of actionable advice about how to get started effectively. This video explains Question & Answer soloing which takes ques from how we form conversations in real life.
Here’s the example tab – the above part is the Question, ending on a 5th while the lower part is the Answer as it lands on the Tonic.
Here’s the list of ideas from the end of the video – a few things to try out and experiment with:
- What happens if you try to answer the Question with a note other than the Root?
- Do the questions and the Answers need to be the same length?
- Can you ask several Questions with only one Answer?
- What Questions can you ask from outside of the scale?
- Do the notes leading up to the Question, (or up to the Answer), actually matter?
- Can you ask or Answer a Question with just one note?